When online content is stolen

Greetings Cherry Pickers! Today, we're going to sit down and have a little chat about stealing. Specifically, creative content. So get your favourite drink and start playing your favourite song its time for the Cherry Pit!
(senorgif.com)
Right there you see a funny gif. It was shared on funnyshare, originating from Senorgif. This while not having the best citation in the world can still be traced to it's origin and hence gets an ok by me. What's getting Rammy's cherries in a knot is about a week ago, myself and a few fellow youtubers I know had their content stolen!
(fineartamerican.com)
Should you not be familiar, stealing on youtube equates to some needle dick piece of human excrement downloading your video and posting it as their own work. Now before anyone gets the wrong idea. This isn't all about the Bordens baby! (Benjamins for my lovely pickers in the south.) That is something minor at my level and virtually a non issue.

No, what gets me is the lost of fans to that channel. You see if someone doesn't give props to the creator then whoever enjoys their work can't enjoy more of it. A good example of this, are the music videos on youtube. There are people that upload that music video and add lyrics, or subtitles or make a compilation with something else they like and that is all dandy as long as they give the proper nod to the original creator!

For me there was an AMV (anime music video) that used the song Best of You by the foo fighters. I LOVED that collage of Anime put to the song and must of listened to it over 9000 times. At the beginning of the video it has the original artist and in the description all the videos used to make. I'm happy to say because of that video over 4 years ago I'm a big fan of the Foo Fighters!
(youtube.com search 9000)
This brings me back to my point about content stealing. When this happened to me I was ready to step into the dark side of the force. The emperor would've had no trouble getting me into a full black suit to reek havoc upon the galaxy. All the views/comments on that video we're misdirected and the people who thumbs up'd the video couldn't get more of my content. This is because there was not one shout out or link to my other work. All they did was take what I did show it as if it were their own.

Quick y side note. I was oddly happy about this after fact. I mean come on! My videos are good enough to steal! I could almost make it a slogan!

I hope in the future there will be people you use my videos in their own, or quote me or even make a follow up video to one of my own pieces of work. I create content to get a reaction, to entertain and to connect with people. So seeing others make work from my work would be an amazing feeling. I would guess something like dipping a double chocolate glazed doughnut into hot chocolate milk.
(yourlife.usatoday.com)

So tell me Pickers. What has been stolen from you that made you upset and why?

This is CJ Rams for the Cherry Pit signing off!
PEEEEEEEEACCCCEEEEEEE *co* ;)






No comments:

Post a Comment